text reads frontenac provincial park

Frequently Asked Questions

Day Usage


Self serve


Can I bring...

General Guidelines




Do I have to pay to enter Frontenac Park for a day?

Yes, for day use of Frontenac Park, you must purchase a Daily Vehicle Permit ($14.50/vehicle). Note that a Summer Vehicle Permit ($125.00) is available. It enables a vehicle and its occupants to enter any Ontario Provincial Park for day use from April 01 to November 30. Similarly, a Winter Vehicle Permit ($85.00) goes on sale around November 01 and is valid from December 01 to March 31. Finally you can purchase an Annual Vehicle Permit ($175.00) that is valid from April 01 to March 31.

Day Use for Ontario Senior Citizens is $11.50 per vehicle. For Disabled Persons or qualifying Youth Groups, the fee is $7.25 per vehicle. *All fees include HST (Harmonized Sales Tax).

In summary:

Day Use
Regular.... $14.50
Senior..... $11.50
Disabled.... $7.25

Vehicle Permits
Summer Vehicle Permit......$125.00
Winter Vehicle Permit......$85.00
Annual Vehicle Permit......$175.00


Can I camp in Frontenac Park?

Yes, but only at designated campsites for which you are registered. Note that only interior camping is available. This means that you cannot drive your car, tent trailer, or RV to a campsite. The sites are reachable only by hiking or paddling.


How many sites are available?

In Frontenac, campsites are grouped in small clusters scattered over the Park area. The Park has 13 clusters most of which have four campsites (cluster #2 has 3, #5 has 2, #13 has 3) for a total of 48 campsites. Each campsite sports a tent pad, a firepit and a picnic table. Each cluster includes a privy. The photo below shows campsite 7A.

Campsite 7A


How many people can I register on a campsite?

The maximum number of people that can be registered and occupy a tent pad is 6 (six). Tent pads measure roughly 14 x 14 feet, limiting the type of equipment to be used. Each tent pad will accommodate two 2-person tents or one 4-6 person tent. All tents must be on a tent pad!


How long can I stay on a campsite?

Campers can stay at any one campsite cluster tentpad location a maximum of three (3) consecutive nights. You must vacate the site by 14h00 on the date you depart from the site.


How much does it cost to camp in Frontenac Park?

For overnight camping you must obtain an Interior Camping Permit which includes parking for vehicles. NOTE: the permit MUST be obtained at the Park Office during normal business hours PRIOR to entry into the interior. The park accepts payment by cash, VISA, MasterCard, American Express and debit card - no personal cheques. (See also: How do I get a permit when the Park Office is closed?). The rates are:

Backcountry/Interior Camping
Per Person per night(Age 18-over)
Senior (65 and over).......$9.94

Per Person per night(Age 6-17)

There is no cost for children under 6 years of age.


What are the fees for Youth Groups?

Youth Groups wishing to visit Frontenac Park for Day Use or Camping are requested to contact the park (613) 376-3489 for further information as certain conditions apply. Eligible youth groups fees are $7.00 per vehicle for day use. For camping, the fees will be $5.93 per person per night for 18 years an over and $2.54 per person per night for 6-17 years old.


Can you reserve a campsite at Frontenac Park?

The sites at Frontenac are available for reservation from the beginning of May through the end of October. Read the Park Information Guide page 7 for reservation details. Note: As a backcountry park, reservations can be made at Frontenac over the phone (1-888-668-7275) but starting in 2013 you can also reserve on-line.


How do I get a permit when the Park Office is closed?

Permits are required for all park use, year-round. From late October through to early May, reservations cannot be made and Frontenac operates on a first come, first served basis. When the Park Office is closed, there is a Self-Serve Registration System for Day Use and Interior Camping. The Self-Serve Fee Station is located in a pod connected to the Park Office by an extension of its roof. (It is on the right as you walk the path toward the Park Office). You will need exact cash. Please read the instructions posted on the Self-Serve Fee Station wall carefully.

Park Office self-serve pod


Where can I park my vehicle?

Parking facilities are provided adjacent to the Park Office. Vehicle access to Big Salmon Lake and Arab Lake is permitted from late April to late October, yearly. Parking facilities at these locations are limited. From November 1 to late April, the road to Big Salmon Lake is closed to vehicles and visitors must park in one of the lots adjacent to the Park Office.

Once you have obtained your permit, you must park your vehicle at a parking lot prior to embarking on your trip. Leave a copy of your valid permit on your vehicle's dashboard.


Are motorboats permitted on the interior lakes of the Park?

No. A regulation introduced in September (1983) prohibits the use of motors. Electric motors may be used on Big Salmon Lake only. Note that whenever you bring a vessel into an Ontario provincial park, you require a valid permit.


Can I use my mountain bike, ATV, horse, etc. on the Park's trails?

No. The use of mountain bikes, bicycles, horses (and other pack animals), and all motorized vehicles on the trails is prohibited.


Can I bring my dog?

Yes, but you must keep your dog on a leash at all times while in the Park. You must also pick-up after your pet and keep it quiet so that it does not disturb other visitors.


Can I bring firearms in the Park?

No. Firearms are totally prohibited within the Park's boundaries.


Can I bring cans and bottles in the Park?

Yes. There is no can or bottle ban at Frontenac, however you MUST carry out what you bring in.


What are some do's and don'ts that I should know about?

The following guidelines are based on consideration for the park environment and other park users:

When you register for camping at the Park Office, you will be asked to initial your permit that you have read and understand the general park rules.


What should I do about drinking water?

A water cairn with treated water is located at the Park Office. To be safe, untreated water from the interior lakes and streams should be boiled at a rolling boil for a minimum of 1 minute prior to consumption. (It can also be filtered and treated with purification chemicals.) The evening meal is an ideal time to boil the next day’s water for drinking.


Are there swimming facilities in the Park?

There are no official beaches with lifeguards in Frontenac. However, numerous small sandy beaches are found on the lakes in the interior of the Park. Caution should be used if swimming anywhere in the Park.


We are coming in a for day of canoeing and a picnic, can I build a fire?

No, fires are permitted only at designated campsites. All hikers, campers and fishing enthusiasts are encouraged to use backpacking stoves to reduce the risk of forest fires and help the Park's environment.


What should I do if I have a serious accident within Frontenac Park?

In the interior of the Park, help is not close at hand. This is all the more reason to exercise caution at all times. A good quality first aid kit is a must while travelling in the Park's interior. There is an outside public phone at the Park Office - call 911 in an emergency. Mobile phone service is not reliable in the Park area.


[ Home ]

Comments to the Friends of Frontenac Park.

Report errors to: Jérôme McDuff

Revised: February 25, 2018